Independent assurance report
To the readers of the Triodos Bank online Annual Report 2012
We were engaged by the Executive Board of Triodos Bank N.V. to provide assurance on the sections ‘Environmental report’ and ‘Co-worker report’ (further ‘the Sections’) of the online Triodos Bank Annual Report 2012 (further ‘The Report’). The Executive Board is responsible for the preparation of The Report, including the identification of material issues. Our responsibility is to issue an assurance report based on the engagement outlined below.
What was included in the scope of our assurance engagement?
Our engagement was designed to provide limited assurance on whether the Sections are presented, in all material respects, in accordance with the reporting criteria.
We do not provide any assurance on the achievability of the objectives, targets and expectations of Triodos Bank N.V.
Procedures performed to obtain a limited level of assurance are aimed at determining the plausibility of information and are less extensive than those for a reasonable level of assurance.
Which reporting criteria did Triodos Bank use?
Triodos Bank N.V. applies the Sustainability Reporting Guidelines G3.1 of the Global Reporting Initiative for the preparation of The Report. For The Sections covered by our engagement scope Triodos Bank N.V. applies the relevant parts of the G3.1 Reporting Guidelines. It is important to view the information in the Sections in the context of these criteria.
Which assurance standard did we use?
We conducted our engagement in accordance with Standard 3410N ‘Assurance Engagements relating to Sustainability Reports’ of the Royal Netherlands Institute of Register Accountants . This Standard requires, amongst others, that the assurance team possesses the specific knowledge, skills and professional competencies needed to provide assurance on sustainability information and that they comply with the requirements of the Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants from the International Federation of Accountants to ensure their independence.
What did we do to reach our conclusions?
Our procedures included the following:
- A risk analysis, including a media search, to identify relevant environmental and social issues for Triodos Bank N.V. in the reporting period.
- Evaluating the design and implementation of the systems and processes for the collection, processing and control of the information in the Sections, including the consolidation of the data for the Sections.
- Interviews with relevant staff at corporate and local level responsible for providing the information in the Sections.
- Evaluating internal and external documentation, based on sampling, to determine whether the information in the Sections is supported by sufficient evidence.
- An analytical review of the data and trend explanations submitted by all locations for consolidation at corporate level.
During the assurance process we discussed the necessary changes in the Sections and reviewed the final version of the Sections to ensure that they reflect our findings.
Based on the procedures performed, as described above, nothing has come to our attention to indicate that the Sections ‘’ and ‘’ are not presented, in all material respects, in accordance with the reporting criteria.
Amstelveen, 29 April 2013
KPMG Accountants N.V.
P.A.M. de Wit RA (partner)